Overthinking is the situation where you decide on something silly and still keep thinking about its pros and cons, making it a huge issue. Overthinking leads to different issues connected to your problem which actively results in no decision being made. Most of the time your thoughts and ideas take time exploring and you cannot make a proper decision.
It seems strange as the first thought was right and then continuous thinking and understanding of the situation leads to different options in different ways.
As time passes, ideas and thoughts of small issues, become major issues and thoughts. Overthinking wouldn’t stop if you want to, but still runs on your unconscious mind.
Example: it’s like trying to sail on a small boat in an ocean with giant waves and being helplessly tossed around with no control of the boat.
Overthinking usually complicates the situation, than what exactly it is.
Overthinking doesn’t occur in a particular situation. Instead, it happens when your mind becomes hyperactive, persisting throughout the day. This continuous thought flow can lead to insomnia and a lack of moments of rest.
Most individuals consider it as a natural activity. When did need to concentrate, learn to make choices, or complete a task they are aware of how the mind is not restless, but moving from one to to another.
The root of overthinking
Overthinking can lead to stress and anxiety, which also is an obstacle during making a choice. This also influences losing track of the right decision or having a clear mind. Overthinking can lead to slowing down the mental activities that underpin decision-making.
When working memory isn’t working
Under stressful or pressured environments, making decisions can be difficult which leads to overthinking. Working memory is something that quickly calculates the risk factors which are the pros and cons of the brain. This area of working memory takes a vital space to process the information taken to decide the right where overthinking suits different ideas and breaks down the decision-making into a mechanical process.
Encountering, stressful pressure movements, paralyze the analyses which make any situation feel right rather than working on it, and the gut reaction. Six vast experiences of being human without overthinking, which helps in powerful and efficient decision-making.
How can you stop overthinking?
- Relax: Overthinking can reverse up into making feel anxious and being more worried to stop these relaxation techniques would roll into a prominent aspect. Relax and through yoga go for a walk. Taking some deep breaths or watching a good film movie would help to relax.
- Practice mindfulness: Mindfulness is not a fast relief, but practicing mindfulness will keep you away from overthinking. I notice untangled thoughts in action.
- Get some perspective: Mindfulness is one of the practices to get some perspective. Feeling free to speak to a friend or step back from a certain situation can help to stop overthinking. Try to stop overthinking, which might still be an issue if you think throughout the year.
- Try problem-focused, thinking: Be informative to yourself and realize if extra thinking activities would help yourself or cause the problem. Overthinking could make the problem more complicated and drain all your energy elsewhere, knowing the root cause of the problem. Is it a game plan to solve your issues?
- Talk it out: A common cognitive behavior therapy is to talk things out when it is stuck with a new which becomes a causal factor for any decision to be made throughout. So talk to friends, family, or your therapist when you think the situation is out of hand.
- Go to therapy: When you think it’s hard to speak to a family or a friend, taking therapy would be a choice that can work out the causal factors of any mental health issues when you consider mental health professional can help you from your specific issue
- Learn from your Pets: There is a book by Robert Sapolsky where stress is compared to other species such as Zebras. They might experience stress like running from predators or a dog who fell yesterday in front of all the other dogs. They did not stress themselves by worrying about it but continued to live in the present situation. The point is that these animals are great examples for us and we all should learn from them.
read more articles on overthinking
- Is Overthinking a Cause of Mental Health Issues?
- Are you an overthinker? Stop overthinking and start living.
- How can you control overthinking? Suggestions are here
Books about Overthinking
- Overthinking: Be Yourself and Fast Improving Self-Esteem Using Success Habits & Meditation Build Mental Toughness, Bet in Slow Thinking and Declutter & Unfuck Your Mind from Stress Eating & Drinking.
- Get Out of Your Head Stopping the Spiral of Toxic Thoughts.
- Unfuck Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and into Your Life.